Ever finish a wonderful meal and about thirty minutes later begin to experience the initial stomach churning impact of a food borne illness? This is never a happy experience and not a rare one. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that one in six Americans (48 million people) become ill from eating contaminated food each year. About 128,000 are hospitalized and 3,000 die.
For dining establishments and food service providers in general, there are 5 steps that should be followed to improve food safety and protect themselves and their customers from gastrointestinal distress, or worse.
- Go back to the food safety basics
- Share knowledge with entire team
- Develop and use efficient checklists
- Install an effective follow-up program
- Bring it all together through technology
Our EZ FORMS: Checklist and Audit Compliance App was designed to incorporate those five steps and is being used by major fastcasual/QSR chains to make accomplishing those steps so much easier.
In fact, a recent research study conducted by the Center for Advancing Retail & Technology (CART) and the National Grocers Association (NGA) demonstrates that in-store deployments of a food safety and intelligent checklist platform have a positive impact on food quality and safety performance.
Results from the study indicate improvements on several key performance dimensions compared with previously existing paper-based record keeping methods, including:
- Enabled superior workplace practices while reducing costs
- Provided better control and mitigation of risk
- Improved outcomes on health safety inspections
- Enabled the delivery of better quality prepared foods, leading to happier, more satisfied customers and increased sales.
Beyond merely food safety, checklist and audit compliance apps deliver a host of additional direct benefits including the following:
- Potential for labor savings of up to 60%
- No more paper – eliminates purchase and storage cost
- Increased visibility into stores and the ability to affect employee behavior more directly
- The system is not just suitable for food safety – the platform can be applied to virtually any type of operational checklist
- Ability to efficiently implement ad hoc activities such as product recalls
- Potential ability to reduce outside audit expense